I am organizing a three-hour workshop for teaching assistants. The workshop is meant to be their first introduction to teaching. If anyone has organized anything similar, I would love to exchange ideas. Below is a list of links for the workshops. If anyone has comments, suggestions, etc. they are very welcome!
Useful links – this list is compiled having in mind parsimony assuming that TAs will have little time and find a short list more useful.
- The Higher Education Academy Economics Network : this UK-based site provides offers a great variety of materials to support university teachers of economics. Of special interest is The Handbook for Economics Lecturers which includes a chapter for teaching assistants.
I am not aware of any other handbooks for teaching economics, that are freely available on the internet. There are however several handbooks for teaching assistants.
- Handbook for teaching assistants at Cornell (2007, pp. 5-22) this handbook is just one of many materials that are available from the Cornell Centre for Learning and Teaching. These include, for instance, a Syllabus Template, which reflects the best practices for syllabus construction (MS Word version and PDF version) as well as Test Construction Manual “to help you write discriminating test questions, avoid common mistakes in multiple-choice and true-false questions, construct and grade essay questions and plan an exam“.
Also excellent is the site
- Handbook for teaching assistance by UC San Diego (2005, pp.42-66)
- Tch-econ discussion list From the description of the discussion list: “This is a place to discuss ideas related to the teaching of economics. We particularly concentrate on undergraduate university-level teaching, but do occasionally foray into graduate or secondary-school teaching. This is also a place to make contacts and form collaborative teams to work on projects related to the scholarship of teaching and to multi-campus collaborative efforts. “
Peer-reviewed journals on economic education
- International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education (IJPEE)
- International Review of Economics Education
- Journal of Economic Education
- Journal for Economic Educators